Nice Filler patented a technology called Cronogard to extend shelf life and maintain food quality and freshness. This is an innovative system that introduces functional molecules into packaging materials, immobilized on inorganic surfaces, to protect food in a controlled manner.
Cronogard is an additive based on edible and biocompatible compounds developed for packaging made from plastics, biopolymers, cardboard and aluminium. It reduces the formation of biofilms and inhibits the growth of microorganisms that cause sensory deterioration inside the package, while guaranteeing protection. Furthermore, it acts as a barrier to reduce the permeability of the packaging. Biofilms are sticky films made of yeast, bacteria, and organic polymers that adhere to the walls of any material, allowing microorganisms to colonize and multiply.
“Fruits and vegetables are also compatible. The addition of Cronograd additives also improves mechanical, thermal and barrier properties. Normal packs have much higher microbial concentrations than Cronograd. Pseudomonas and Escherichia coli Well below reference in Cronogard. The former showed significant differences after 30-45 days, while for the latter, bacteria declined after 72 hours. ”
“Cronogard is a product line for specific food categories. To apply the Cronogard technology, Nice Filler provides specific masterbatches for each polymer and paint varnish, depending on the type of food to be preserved.”
Cronogard has several innovative advantages:
- The protection remains in effect as the temperature rises (it also protects against sudden temperature changes).
- It enables wider distribution, opening up new markets for fresh and highly perishable products (eg, fresh-cut products, berries, mozzarella, etc.).
- It prolongs the shelf life of food, maintaining its intrinsic quality as well as sensory and nutritional qualities.
- It helps reduce the use of preservatives.
- It is environmentally friendly due to the type of packaging material it is applied to.
- It significantly reduces food waste.
The growing demand for ready-to-eat foods, the globalization of commerce, and the distribution of centralized processing facilities are creating the need to continually ensure and improve food safety and quality. With this in mind, the concept of total food quality is becoming more and more popular, including not only raw materials and processing techniques, but also packaging.
Therefore, it is necessary to address various issues such as:
- Respect for the environment: The global food packaging industry is looking for sustainable solutions using recyclable, compostable and eco-friendly materials.
- Food safety: There has been a marked increase in some dangerous food infections over the past few years (Campylobacter, Salmonella, Listeria, Escherichia coli), And products that guarantee better protection are required.
- Food waste: 931 million tonnes of food is wasted every year (FAO 2021). To solve this problem, innovative packaging that extends the shelf life of food is needed.
Nice Filler holds three patents: the first for fillers, granted in July 2018 (No. WO 2013060738); the second for fillers in September 2019 (n. WO2010 016034); the third for applications Technology for Paper and Board, Accessed Feb 2022 (n. WO2022029022A1).
to know more information:
Tel: +39 089 964019
Via Turati 40, 20121 Milan
Via Loggia dei Pisani, 25 80133 Naples
Department of Industrial Engineering
University of Salerno
by Giovanni Paul II, 132
84084 Fisciano (SA)